The Monitoring Group provides advice, assistance and support to victims of hate crime.

I was born in Hoshiarpur, India 1948, and was the 3rd of five children; two older sisters, one younger sister and my late brother Gurdeep, who was the youngest. My father found work in Tanzania, Africa, which is where we spent our childhood years. As with many other Indians I too left Tanzania for Britain in 1967, prior to a brief stay in India; leaving my family behind in Hoshiarpur. I lived in various places with friends and relatives while I studied, and looked for work. 

My parents and two younger siblings came to join my here in 1972 (my two older sisters were now married and settled in India). Our first home was in Ealing, (west London), but we soon bought a house in Southall, which is where we settled. I was married in the August of 1974, and my first son was born in the August of 1975. At this point my younger brother, Gurdeep was 16 years old. 

On Friday 4 June 1976, Gurdeep went to the Dominion cinema in Southall with friends, as he sometimes did. It was outside this cinema that the heinous murder was committed. This whole period of time, from the murder, to the court case, is very difficult to talk about. It is difficult, but it’s something that I won’t ever forget. He never came home on the night of 4 June. My parents were concerned, but I told them not to worry, as from time to time he stayed over at a friends. I thought it was just him being a teenager, having fun, and forgetting to call home. On the day after he died, I was at home when the police came to the house, and asked me to come with them to the police station as my brother had been in a fight. This was late afternoon. I went with them, and they asked me some questions, and gave me my brothers watch. 

I answered the questions and held the watch. I was shocked; they didn’t tell me that he had been stabbed. I confirmed that the watch was his, and answered some more questions, it was all very confusing. After questioning me, they dropped me at the top of the street. As I walked to the house, I met some people and they told me what had happened to Gurdeep. Our friends and family knew before me, I was in a complete state of shock. By the time I got home, the house was full of people, most of them were crying. My parents took it very badly, I watched them crying. The murder had a big impact; they were shocked for a long time, and they grieved for a long time.  

They never really recovered. In fact, my mother found it very difficult and in the end we left Southall. We went to the trial at the Old Bailey and sat in court, but were asked to leave. Our friends stayed on in court, but we were not permitted to be present, and had to leave. I didn’t know the outcome of the trial, the length of the sentences or anything until members of the public told me. We got a lot of support from the local community, everyone on our street supported us, and thousands attended the funeral. The streets were full of people, who wanted to support us, and talk about the racism, which had caused this. We also received many letters of support, from groups, individuals and total strangers who wrote simply to provide words of kindness. These were genuine acts of kindness. I can’t forget this. 

This is a very difficult thing to talk about, and I am still deeply saddened, but I have the memories of my innocent little brother, the loving memories, they will always stay with me.