Event: Launch of Tottenham Rights Advice & Campaigning Surgeries
Date: Monday 8 October 2012
Time: from 5pm to 7pm
Venue: North London Community House, Moorefield Road. London N17 6PY
Refreshments will be available
TMG will be launching an important initiative in Tottenham, North London, on Monday 8 October 2012 from 5pm to 7pm. The event is organized by Tottenham Rights and it will mark the launch of its Advice & Campaigning Surgeries in the locality. The Surgeries will give more than legal information on how to challenge racist practices, they will also offer expert advice & assistance and, if necessary, develop effective campaigns on cases that attract public interest.
Tottenham Rights is a new and joint initiative of the Tottenham Defence Campaign and The Monitoring Group. It is a response to the causes of last year’s August violent public disturbances in the locality that were triggered by the shooting of black youth Mark Duggan. Tottenham Rights will aim to:
- Challenge all forms of racism, institutional or violent, by providing legal advice and public campaigning
- Empower local communities through involvement in decision making and by demanding greater transparency and accountabilities of the authorities
- Build new community and social alliances that can bring positive changes in the area
- Publish and disseminate material on local history and community struggles that invigorates new thinking beyond the debates on multiculturalism and integration
The event will include brief contributions from:
- Local family campaigns fighting injustices,
- Community organisations,
- Stafford Scott (Tottenham Rights),
- Suresh Grover (Director of The Monitoring Group) and
- Imran Khan (solicitor for the Stephen Lawrence Family).
The Advice Surgeries have been organized in partnership with the North London Community House.
For further information about Tottenham Rights go to http://www.tmg-uk.org/?p=2899